Friday, April 24, 2009

Fitness Friday

TIP OF THE WEEK: Eat and drink to boost your metabolism and lose weight.

Drink More Water - 
When researchers measured people's metabolic rate before and after drinking 16 ounces of water, they found a rise in calorie-burning capability. The water had a lasting effect as well: Even after 30 minutes, those who drank the water were using 30% more calories than those who didn't drink water.

Eat - 
You must eat to get lean. Digesting food and absorbing and storing nutrients requires energy. Severely restricting calories reduces your metabolic rate. Plus, starving yourself eventually drives your body to break down muscle tissue to satisfy energy needs.

I got a little better this week, but not too much. The intensity of my workouts was greater, there just weren't very many of them. I'd meant to do so much better, but there's always next week. Here's the breakdown.

Monday: Cardio (50 min)
I did the Cardio X DVD from my P90X DVDs which basically consists of a little bit of yoga, a little bit of Kenpo karate, a little bit of core synergistics, and a dash of plyometrics. It's a fun workout because you are changing it up so much. Mr. Tigger and I did this together - it was our bonding time for the day. I had fun doing this workout and felt that I did okay. I did kind of waste away a little at the end.

Wednesday: Chest and Back Resistance Training (50 min)
This workout consisted of a lot of push-ups and plenty of pull-ups for the most part. I was incredibly weak in the push-up area and sadly remembered how I could do 60 push-ups (man-style) during my high school softball days. Let's just say that I was no where in the neighborhood of 60. And, I couldn't manage even 1 unassisted pull-up. I tried to do lots of unassisted pull-ups to make up for it. (P.S. My body is still in a bit of pain from this workout.)

Thursday: Run (1.5 Miles)
Sound the trumpets and call the newspapers! I triumphantly ran 1.5 miles without any breaks or stops. That's right no breaks to catch my gasping breath or stops to rest my aching calves. I'll admit that it was incredibly difficult and that I readily accepted Flash's, my large boxer dog's, assistance. He kept me at a much faster pace than I would have ran by myself.

I was also supposed to play a softball game today, but completely spaced it amongst my mothering duties (i.e., screaming baby daughter who wouldn't stop eating). I hope my teammates will forgive my lack of memory.

I vow to do better this week. More workouts. More intensity. Better diet.

I'm also starting my 6 Week Sugar Fast. I've been too addicted to treats lately and it isn't helping my waist or my mental well-being. So, I'm going to completely eliminate treats for 6 weeks and then after that only have a treat once or twice a month. I used to do this before I got pregnant, but my stupid cravings make it near impossible. But, I'm no longer with child, so I'm going back. Anyone who wants to can do this with me. I promise, after the first 5 weeks, you won't want that chocolate bar anymore.

2 comments:

Head Nurse or Patient- you be the judge said...

Yes, yes I will. I did it last summer and did fabulously for three whole months- Now I am back to nearly non stop chocolate.

But- I am willing to try, try again.

The Jungle Explorer said...

Just make sure you don't have any in your house. Those midnight cravings can be killers.