
TIP OF THE WEEK: Build muscle to boost your metabolism.
You can effectively boost your own metabolism by turning more of your fat into muscle. A pound of muscle burns more than three times the amount of calories that a pound of fat does just sitting around. In other words, go pump some iron.
Getting back into shape is tough and this week I was paying my dues. Here is how it went.
Monday - Yoga (1 Hour)
I decided to try and ease back into things with some yoga. Yoga isn't hard right? Wrong! The Yoga DVD from my P90X workout videos happens to include an hour yoga workout that is killer. I couldn't actually hold most of the poses near the end and I learned just how lost my ab muscles are. Ab muscles where are you?
Wednesday - Running (1.2 Miles)
I'd meant to go running on Tuesday, but somehow let the day slip by without actually doing it. So, I went running on Wednesday instead, or at least I tried. I ran barely over a mile and had to stop three times during the run for a breather. Since I am so out of shape my asthma (aerobically-induced) was getting the better of me and in the moments when I could breathe, my legs hurt.
Thursday - Cardio X (45 Minutes)
My P90X DVDs come with one called Cardio X, which is a workout to do when you either can't physically do the other DVDs or want some variety. It is the easiest cardio workout and the shortest, and I barely made it through it - but I made it.
Friday - Softball Game (Missed on Account of Traffic)
I was supposed to finish up the week with a good co-ed softball game, which although it doesn't provide much of a workout, I consider it part of fitness because there is some sprinting involved. However, there was a huge traffic accident that turned my 15-minute drive into a 50-minute one and there was no way I was going to make the game. I'll have to wait until next week.
Overall, the week was a huge reminder to me of how out of shape I am, but it also just felt great. It feels great to be active again. I'm looking forward to another great week of pushing myself.
P.S. I need to do a little bit better on my diet. There were way too many treats this week. Thanks for the cookies mom.
4 comments:
I think you're thinking of relaxation yoga being easy- most yoga is really hard. We got this DVD on netflix and we could do hardly any of it. The guy was mr elastic man and he did the whole workout in speed mode.
hey- I walked the track last night for an hour and 45 minutes ( CT had soccer practice and it was only supposed to be an hour) my body thinks that was cruel and unusual punishment. It likes the elliptical better I guess.
Sometimes you have to hurt a little to progress, but in the end it's worth it. I'm glad that you were able to utilize your time so effectively. Walking is way better than chillin in the van.
lol - this post cracked me and my sister up.
I might have to get me some of those p90x dvds. Right now I go to some awesome classes at a local gym, but we're moving in a month and I'm not sure if I'll be able to find a gym that's up to par. So it sounds like you recommend them highly, so I might have to give them a whirl!
Post a Comment