Thursday, August 12, 2010

How Do You Measure Up?

Before beginning any exercise program I like to take some measurements. Here is what I typically do:
  • Weight on a scale
  • Body Fat %
  • BMI
  • Measure stomach, butt, and right thigh in inches
Sometimes I go a little farther and do these things too:
  • Take before-and-after pictures (it seems weird, but they actually really help you see visual results and you don't have to show them to anyone else if you don't want to)
  • Measure left thigh, both biceps, hips, both calves
  • Take statistics (how many push-ups/pull-ups/biceps curls you can do, etc.)
I know that this may seem a bit overboard, but you should at least always do my first list...and here's why. This January I was determined to lose the rest of my baby weight before my little Panda turned One. So I worked out really hard and ate healthy for the entire month.

At the end of the month I took new measurements and I had lost 1 pound. That's right, that is not a typo, I only lost 1 pound. Luckily I had my other measurements and could see that I had also lost 6% body fat and 1/2 inch to 2 inches around my belly, butt, and thigh. I had traded fat for muscle so my weight hadn't changed too much. If I hadn't taken the other measurements I would have been so excessively pissed off about that 1 pound.

So, the moral of the story is...take your measurements people!

3 comments:

The Shepherds said...

I agree! I think it is more about how your jeans feel! By the way I have taken the before photos many times but have never got to where I felt comfortable taking after photos. I love trying to make a sad, pitiful face in my before pictures though. You know the ones you see on t.v where the people are white and ugly before and after they are tan and pretty. lol.

Head Nurse or Patient- you be the judge said...

you are so bossy. :) I haven't jumped on the band wagon yet- but I will- I started working again- hopefully today or tomorrow-

The Jungle Explorer said...

The photos don't necessarily need to be "after" photos, they can also be "during" photos. It's just nice to see your progress as you're going along. The P90X program has you take pictures again at 30, 60, and 90 days so that you actually have 4 sets of photos to look at and see your progress.