Friday, December 20, 2013

2012-2013 Years in Review - Countdown to 2014

So I told everyone that I'd post more and that I'd probably even review 2012 while I was at it. Well, I don't want to be a liar so here goes.

January 2012:
January of 2012 was one of the hardest months of my life. There were definitely some good moments (warm enough on January 2 to go miniature golfing, fun snow, fun times with my kids, etc.) and a really great moment (the blessing of my beautiful baby). But it also brought surgery for my beautiful baby and the death of my sweet dog, Flash.

My doctor was concerned about my baby's (Mouse's) skull an ordered an x-ray but told us not to worry too much about it. The x-ray revealed that Mouse's skull had fused prematurely which would restrict her head from growing in width. After he got the results he called Primary Children's hospital and by the end of that day my baby was scheduled to have surgery on her skull by a neurosurgeon and plastic surgeon before the end of the month.

Handing my sweet, little 3-month old baby over to the anesthesiologist and walking away was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. It still makes me tear up just thinking about it. The surgery removed a section of her skull in the middle of her head. They ended up making two incisions, one at the front and one at the back, and using an endoscope to remove the section of skull. (They had to shave  her long hair in those two spots.) And she would end up having to wear a special helmet for most of the year.

In addition to everything that was going on with Mouse, at the beginning of the month our dog Flash was having seizures. We took him into the vet and got him put on some medication. The first few days on the medication were awful for Flash as his body got used to it, but then he seemed to get better. On the day before Mouse's surgery Flash seemed to be back to his energetic self (I took that picture of him that night). On the night of Mouse's surgery Flash passed away. I had stayed at the hospital and didn't find out until the next morning when Mr. Tigger came in with cards from the kids and a video that he had taken of the small funeral they had given Flash. It was a hard day.



January 2013:
The contrast from 2012 to 2013 was huge. This last January was one of the best months ever. We were able to escape the horrible coldness of home and run off to wonderfully warm Florida and we had so much fun as a family. My husband and I had trained hard and had a really good Goofy race (half marathon plus a marathon) and the kids really enjoyed their races. Then we rewarded ourselves by spending the week going to amusement parks and DisneyWorld.

Everyone had their own special moment. Monkey got a magical wand directly from Ollivander and got to see some of its magic in action. Panda got to hug Mickey and then hold hands with him as she finished her race (plus she got to meet Rapunzel). Mouse got claimed by Sleeping Beauty with a huge kiss on the forehead and loved running around on the beach. And Tigger and I got a lot of medals and the best vacation as a family that we've ever had. Overall, it was magical.




No comments: