Tuesday, December 24, 2013

May Flowers (May 2012-2013)

May 2012:
Our kids were very busy in May 2012.

Monkey graduated from kindergarten and looked incredibly cute in his little cap and gown. I love that his school has those for the kindergarteners because they are adorable. After the graduation we had a special dinner for our royal children that they thought was pretty fun. Monkey also had fun camping out with his dad, going on a hike with me, playing baseball, meeting Cosmo, and riding on Thomas the Train. It was definitely a busy month for my little man.

Panda hung out with Mouse and me a lot. We went on some hikes, read lots of books, met Cosmo the Cougar, and rode on Thomas. We just happened to meet Cosmo when we went to Walmart one day. They were having a special event that we knew nothing about before we got there, but it turned out to be a great experience of the kids. They got to meet Cosmo and plant a pumpkin plant in their very own atrium. The funny thing about meeting Cosmo that day was that Panda just happened to be wearing her BYU shirt that day. Coincidence? I think not.

Mouse had a ton of fun on our Thomas the train ride. She was smiling the whole time and loved looking out the window as were were chugging along. Panda has been busy building her sitting-up muscles. She is actually pretty strong, probably because of that heavy helmet. She must feel lighter than air whenever we take it off.

Funny thing that happened, we had an entire swarm of bees come into our yard. They came in a huge swarm that looked like something out of a cartoon as they flew in and attached to one of our trees. (I've included a picture of some of the bees in their swarm when they were on the ground.) The bees actually proved to be fairly nice. They didn't attack or anything and let you get really close. However, we were still nervous so we called a beekeeper, that's right a beekeeper, to come and get them. He was happy to have another swarm to make honey.



We also forced our kids to participate in the horrible tradition of family pictures (minus the parents because who wants to see us anyway). They endured the picture taking and were rewarded with a walk through a stream, a little bit of climbing on small waterfalls, and a water fight.

May 2013:
It was warm again, which meant camping time for Monkey and his daddy. They also had a blast geo-caching. Panda can't wait to be able to go on more campouts, maybe next year. The kids also had a lot of fun playing in various splash pads across the valley. I like the new on in Springville the best. The meandering river is a huge plus.

Panda got to go to a little girls tea party and had a great time, plus she looked adorable. The kids have also been busy building forts and playing with each other. I love that my kids are such great friends…most of the time.

For Mother's Day my family got me a trampoline, which was awesome. I enjoy playing on it, but what I really enjoy is how much my kids will play on it and how much energy they use up. It's the best Mother's Day gift ever.

Due to my being positive for the BRCA 2 gene (84% likely to have aggressive form of breast cancer), I decided to be proactive and scheduled a double mastectomy. I had watched my sister and my mom go through chemo and other cancer treatments and didn't want to go through it. I also wasn't willing to risk the chance of dying and leaving my husband and children behind without a wife and mother. The decision was actually an easy one for me after considering everything.

The weekend before my surgery I got in one last half marathon and ran the Alpine Classic with my husband. It was a small race and we had a great time. I was glad to be able to run in it since I knew that I wasn't going to be able to run for a long time. The next Friday I went through an incredibly long day of surgery. Luckily I don't remember any of it. :)


No comments: